To help reduce regulatory reporting costs and emphasize patient-centered care, the 2019 IQR program will be made up of a smaller set of more meaningful measures. Here are two of the major measure changes that CMS will make to improve the IQR program in 2019:
- Implement a new measure removal factor, “The costs associated with a measure outweigh the benefit of its continued use in the program.”
- Remove certain measures that are already a part of one of the four other quality reporting programs (CMS refers to this as the ‘de-duplicating’ of measures).
The eCQMs for the IQR program in 2019 will remain the same.
However, three chart-abstracted measures will be removed:
- ED-1: Median Time from ED Arrival to ED Departure for Admitted ED Patients
- IMM-2: Influenza Immunization and
- VTE-6: Incidence of Potentially Preventable Venous Thromboembolism
Hospitals will be required to report on the following three remaining chart-abstracted measures for the IQR program in 2019:
- ED-2: Admit Decision Time to ED Departure Time for Admitted Patients
- PC-01: Elective Delivery
- SEP-1: Early Management Bundle, Severe Sepsis/Septic Shock
Be sure to check out the 2019 IPPS final rule fact sheet for a full IQR measure list.